Thursday, March 8, 2007

Vivacious, Imperious, Victorious



Sir Vivian Richards turned 55 today. The most destructive batsman the world has seen, the most fearsome batsman any bowler can bowl to, the man with the most powerful presence each day he walked on to the field - you exhaust all the superlatives when you talk about this individual. We all read eulogies - but those for this dynamo always stand out. They reach the highest level of reverence, and go further to infringe the territories of worship. For, there are cricketers. And then, there is Viv Richards.




I thought of writing something for him, but then, I am not too good at overcoming my emotions. I would update this with one essay I wrote about one leader I look upto which is not currently in Unicode now. I am also compiling a document on articles and news on the great man from various websites. Reading his autobiography opened a whole new perspective on his personality. No one relates the word discipline to Viv, but - beneath his masterly swagger and legendary arrogance - it meant the most to Viv.




I end with one advertising campaign that Reebok used to run on the King in his playing days. A giant billboard with a close-up shot just read - "Also avaialable for mortals." Here's wishing you the best life has to offer, may your mind flourish in the same spirit and your physique defy your age for countless sixers to come!

1 comment:

Arijit said...

Thanks for this tribute to Sir Viv.Just imagine he's playing today when the first 20 overs has fielding restrictions!! The result-------!!!?