Monday, December 24, 2007

Itni Haseen, Itni Jawan Raat Kya Kare?





I was tempted to post the photographs of a host of actors who came, or lingered longer, in the limelight largely due to a voice that they merrily lip-synced to. As I now browse through my collection and play from it randomly, the voice adapts and modulates effortlessly - bringing these faces up in memory. I shake my head, once more, in desbelief and look at the photo I posted instead. He smiles at me, as if knowingly.

I prefer not to write about his achievements in this post, least so assert why he was the best. If he were present he would have definitely not liked any of it. It was this love I, and countless other people in this world, have for him that he aspired for. Maybe it's just a coincidence that at this precise moment, he whispers - 'Saanson mein ghul rahi hai, kisi saans ki mahek'. The mind wanders, but he puts it in its place as he tells me its just a song - 'Daaman ko chhuu raha hai, koi hath kya kare?' He reads my mind, wraps the unexplained feelings in the most melodious way - "Jaage hai kuchh ajeeb se jasbaat kya kare?" Indeed, the emotions running inside spoil all efforts I make to write something coherent. I smile, pause the song and complete it myself - "Shayad tumhare aane se, ye bhed khul sake - hairaan hain, ki aaj nayi baat kya kare?"

If God was not so selfish, Mohammad Rafi would have celebrated his birthday with us today. He would have known that superlatives used for him in his lifetime were not mere words to extol his virtues. His voice, indeed, pervades time like time itself.

Mesmerising voice, a divine soul -
One who left, but never could go
How could we? When what you gave
Draws us close, closer than you know.

Remain you will, like this forever
All you've done will get back to you
For, each life you sustained, enriched
Is adding its years to yours, anew.

7 comments:

Neha Khaitan said...

Too good! :)

Naresh said...

Din jo pakheru hote
Pinjre mein main rakh leta
Paalta unko jatan se
Moti ke daane deta
Seena se rehta lagaye

Yaad na jaaye beete dino...

Sach, Rafi saab sirf ek beete hue lamhon ki yaad ban ke reh gaye ham sab ke liye..

Very well written Samarjit; straight from heart, Kudos..

Anonymous said...

Awesome writing Samarjit - have no words to describe how beautiful this is...

Am said...

Nice one Samar :-)

spilledbytes said...

Thanks all - :)

Anonymous said...

What a piece of poetry. the first letters of each line reads MOHD RAFI. What a tribute :)

A S MURTY said...

Fabulous writing Samarjit, it is in a league of its own, just like the master himself. I am amazed to learn how little do we know Rafi Sahab. He continues to baffle me that youngsters of your age too are fascinated with him. Each time I read something about him, newer dimensions are opened, and we had thought all along that we really 'knew' him so well. Keep up the good work, for it gives the much needed boost to all others like me who struggle to describe our feelings for this phenomenon called MOHAMMED RAFI SAHAB.