Monday, January 7, 2008

Friends indeed?

Pranks make for some serious business. Someone, sometime must have been really good at it and made it look very simple - and we still have to 'play' a prank. But I can assure you it is no easy task. It is not at all easy to rise up the ranks in pranks. I can easily write something like 'The best hundred' - courtesy the company I keep. But I'd rather just write on why I said it's a serious business and requires real hard work.

I am having a bad headache today. And when five of us went out for dinner today, two of my friends had a stint at the bar earlier in the evening. Being a bit tipsy from their drinks, it was only natural for one of them to leave his bike keys on his side-plate. The three sober pair of eyes glowed at such an opportunity and the bunch was flicked in a flash. We were happier because this was going to be a lengthy affair - all five of us were spending the night together as well.

He realised it on the way back home. "Did I leave my keys on the table?"

"No." Three sober voices spoke at once. And, kept on convincing him that he must have left it at home. The prospect got more interesting when he said that the bunch had his house-keys as well. The intoxication was done for already - we, the good friends that we are, ensured he does not get up with a hangover on a Monday morning.

The house was ransacked and speculations were rife. But no sign of the keys. And so, the natural course of action was decided upon - he would go to all places (the bar, a paan shop and the restaurant) he visited since the evening and enquire. Someone even suggested to keep tracing the same path with an alert look on the roads as well. And, to make it really look real - I accompanied him on this trail despite the headache. Three no's and half an hour later, we were back home. I was trying hard to keep my lips straight while he did the same with his brows.

"I thought of going to the temple today, but I did not and instead went for a drink. That's why this happened to me." This was his last take on karma before he slept off.

A very satisfying night to say the least. But before you think we are rather mean, let me tell you that all these are done only in a very close group of friends. He is going to find the keys under his pillow when he wakes up in the morning. Maybe, he'd start the day cursing Santa for coming thirteen days late.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first take in karma(as Dude puts it) when I woke up today was "What do I do for the keys now? Let me go to the temple and I will get the keys back". Saying this to myself I get ready and put on the jeans and hear something chime in the pockets.
God, you appeared even before I came to you! My keys are here in the pockets!
Saying this (again to myself), I jumped Eureka to announce to my friend that I have found the keys. And they were in my jeans pockets. This again made my friend to have an edge over me by saying "You get really bad after you are drunk. You searched for the keys so many times in your pocket ans still did not find it. You were not in your senses". So the friend, who was part of the privileged three, and who generally cannot control her laughter and never during these kinds of plots was still able to manage the situation very well by again putting the blame on me.
Thinking on, even I was a bit shattered as I am that kind of person who often boasts about his capacity and stability, more so after a couple of pegs.
Today morning when I come to office a friend who was not part of the privileged three - but who knows me so well that the moment he reads this post on the web, he first pings me and asks - "Dude, Is this you?".
Reading the post, I was happy. They found the keys at exactly the same place where I remember seeing it last (I mentioned the place last night only.. not now). So after a brief period of being down, once again I am proud of my capacity and stability. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

http://blog.bharathganesh.com/2008/01/my-friends-made-me-realize-my-capacity.html