Thursday, June 7, 2007

Ocean's 15

If I were to single out one reason that I am logged into Orkut all day, it would be the music communities I am either a member of, or follow. There is so much to learn from really knowledgeable and passionate music lovers - what if the ratio of rants to good posts is very high? Passionate listeners, technical analysers, idol-worshippers, peace-breakers, peace-makers, fans, fanatics and fanatics dressed as critics - you find them all here. Anyways, that aside, let me come to the real reason I started writing today.

There was this thread of discussion asking for the 15 film tracks you would carry if you were to go to a desert island. (Assumptions play a major part in these discussions, else who will plan a trip to a desert island and pack!) I was thinking what would it be like if I were to actually face such a predicament. At once, I put my mind in its place by stopping it from cooking up a castaway sailor story. My practical simulation of a desert island is something where I am alone with no way to communicate to the outside world. (But where provisions and other necessities shop themselves to my home.) I would also steer clear of the Veer-Zaara angle and have a big house and natural surroundings to give me company. Something like a small cottage by the sea-shore (required to give the effect of an island).

So how would a day be like? Sleep when you are sleepy, get up when you are hungry. And since I am allowed to carry my music, I would be quite satisfied with this basic necessity as well. To round up the deal, how about a cellphone? Not bad. But still I don't think I will be able to sustain in such a setting. Afterall, even a recluse needs a society to disregard. I had once stayed for 6 straight days in a similar setting - within the confines of my one-room apartment in NY, without opening the main door even once - and the effect was quite unsettling.

And then, I think more. What is it that I am doing now? My daily routine is not much better off than that in this fictitious island. As I write this while listening to my favourite music, the world around is sleeping. And, when it bustles with activity, I am blissfully lost in my carefree slumber. I really get to talk to a lot of people all day long but what sense can be made out of all that? Most of the conversations are about the other person with a 'nothing much' when asked about my updates. What I talk all day is best described by the word 'blabbering'. And whatever is meaningful I don't speak aloud. What's the point? Where am I leading too? For the umpteenth time, I am taken over by questions that have no answer. I guess this is the ideal setting to turn a poet or writer :D

Anyways, for those who are interested and those who are not, this is the list of film tracks I would be carrying to the godforsaken island -

01. Pyaasa
02. Guide
03. Dosti
04. Ek Musafir Ek Hasina
05. Kashmir ki Kali
06. Do Badan
07. Half Ticket
08. Tere Ghar Ke Saamne
09. Baiju Bawra
10. Mere Mehboob
11. Mere Huzoor
12. Arzoo
13. Mere Humdum Mere Dost
14. Hum Dono
15. Dil Diya Dard Liya

Disclaimer: My collection of Ghulam Ali ghazals should be allowed separately.

3 comments:

Arijit said...

leaving out guide, pyaasa, half ticket and hum dono, why not carry only the songs of the remaining movies?? :P

spilledbytes said...

Yes sir, this was only for the songs. Restriction being, you cannot have CDs like Best of Kumar Sanu etc.. One film has to be selected.

Arijit said...

ohh i got it later--------i missed the phrase "film tracks", i read only "films"!