Sunday, June 10, 2007

Impact Day!

My office has one day reserved for community service. We call it Impact Day and it was yesterday. It's a daunting task for the organisers and volunteers. Imagine, close to 4000 people going for 24 different threads, each in multiple locations - the planning and execution required. It's a matter of pride as well that this puts us in the Limca Book of Records for organising an event of such proportions. It also calls for working together for a day with many colleagues whom you do not otherwise meet in office. We had to assemble in office by 8:30. There were 24 threads ranging from Road Safety, to hospital/school/old-age home/prison visits, to Aids Awareness campaigns, and so on. I had registered for 'Street to Smart' - which aims to brighten up one day in the lives of street children. My destination was Divya Disha - a home for such children in the outskirts of the city.

It was a hot day and to make it worse, the traffic in the morning was bad. But the almost 2 hours for the journey had one good side-effect: it helped us break the ice with the other members in the bus. Luckily I had two of my most energetic teammates with me, who - with their songs, drama and comments - ensured that there was never a dull moment and everyone was beaming all through.

As we reached the school, there were around 200 children seated in a neat formation. Each moment was spent in amazement, happiness and reflection as they sang, recited, danced and played. On our part we had got them slippers, bags, books, games and chocolates. There were games and prizes to be won. It was for this day that I got the chance to play football after ages. Brought back memories, when it was a regular affair to play effortlessly in the sun. 30 minutes in the field almost took my breath away. And there was one more thing that I never thought I would be doing in this life. I got to actually judge the entries in the drawing competition. (Those who know my prowess in this art, are surely on the floor by now.)

After a long time, I felt good spending the day at work - far from the air-conditioned office floor where I spend my day doing things that do not catch my fancy. Something that I am stuck with because I have never known things that I'd love doing and have always flown with the tide. Overall, it was a great day to spend.

One such day in a year is definitely nothing to really make an impact on our society, but it surely makes an impact on you that is powerful enough if you decide to take it forward on your own.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very nice experience indeed. the last line of the piece is really powerful.enjoy life