Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A Rare Purchase

I don't usually visit music stores to get my music - and normally rely on MP3s and online music sites. Youtube has been a recent addition to my musical destinations. It is because of this site that I could witness Ghulam Ali and Mohd. Rafi singing live, and also could unearth some very rare Rafi gems like this one.

9 out of 10 songs I listen to are either by Rafi Sahab or by Ghulam Ali. I have formed a decent collection now - 500+ Rafi and 100 Ghulam Ali numbers. If you want to know more about them, do a simple search in google or look up the wikipedia entries for MR or GA.

Opinions may vary and everyone is entitled to one's preferences, but in my book Mohd. Rafi will remain the best playback singer ever and Ghulam Ali the best ghazal singer ever.

Coming back to what I started with, I don't visit music stores often. But whenever I amble into one, either with my friends or just to pass time, I browse the Ghazal and the Old Hindi sections. In one such recent visit to Planet M when I was in India in December, I chanced upon this double CD Ghulam Ali collection called Kohinoor. I decided to take it at once, solely because of this one ghazal spanning 23 minutes - Apni Tasveer Ko Aankhon Se Lagata Kya Hai. I am simply speechless each time I hear this one. Smooth, soft and elegant - the rendition leaves me wanting for more despite the unusually long duration. Vintage one.

Kohinoor also has Dost Bankar Bhi Nahi Saath Nibhanewala which is right up there in my favourite list, mainly because of its maqta -
Tum takalluf ko bhi ikhlaas samajhte ho 'Faraaz'
Dost hota nahi har hath milanewala.

takalluf = formality
ikhlaas = sincerity

I paired it off with a different CD by the Ustad - one on classical raagas. I do not have a critical assessment of the CD as I don't understand the Raagas and their intricacies. But I love listening to this album as well.

No comments: