Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Movie Going

Till three years back, I never used to go to the theaters. I found movies a waste of time and they did not appeal to me at all. I would occasionally catch up with movies on the TV but my big-screen total between 1990 and 2003 was, as far as I can remember, 8. I would sit through old movies on television, waiting eagerly for that priceless song in the usually ordinary proceedings. Else, who would sit through a thoroughly nerve-wrecking movie called Mahua - if not for the strong, poignant and rebel notes of 'Dono ne kiya tha pyar magar, mujhe yaad raha tu bhool gayi - Maine tere liye jag chhoda, tu mujhko chhod chali'. I did not watch a frame after this song was over, and frankly don't remember what I saw before.

With a proper fraction as my yearly average, I could barely be called a movie-goer. But this changed after I moved to out of house after college. I started going for the movies more frequently - and notched up quite a number of them by the time I moved to Hyderabad. With nothing much to do after work hours (and a 11-8 work hour at that), our group resorted to movies. I am not sure how many of us went for the movie itself, and many times people would turn up and ask - 'What's today?' Even though I liked quite a few we went for, including Dor, Rang De Basanti, Lage Raho Munnabhai, Parineeta and 'the different one', Being Cyrus, I have to admit the liking came after the show was over, and I never quite had a wishlist.

Anyways, it was fun with all those last minute plans, and I became quite an expert in identifying potential sellers outside the Box Office in the multiplexes, even in the first weekend of the show. The evening and night shows, which we usually went for, would mean we had to eat out either after or before the movie, respectively - and was an added incentive for a foodie like me. I remember going for a midnight buffet after watching Lage Raho Munnabhai - eating from 1:00 to 2:45.

All in all, it's good fun going out for the movies or have friends over at my place and rent a VCD. There's not much to do when you live away from home with new found friends who are, well almost all of them are, living away from home themselves.

Talking of movies, my favourite genre is comedy. Golmaal, Half Ticket, Munna Bhai and some Govinda movies top my list. I am also a great fan of Guru Dutt classics Pyaasa and Kaagaz Ke Phool.

And, on a very recent note (actually 2 days back), I'd suggest everyone who is reading this NOT to watch Salaam-e-Ishq under any circumstances. If someone tells you he'd pay for your ticket, or take you to dinner after the show, or whatever - please reply with a firm 'No, thanks.' Simply put, this is THE WORST movie I watched that I can recall.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Samarjit

This reminds me of my Hyderabad days..I watched all the movies u mentioned and many more...due to well quoted reasons by u ;)
before going to hyderabad..i remember going for catch me if u can..16 Dec..& Kabhi khushi kabhi gum..3 movies in 4 yrs and in hyderabad it was like 3-4 movies per month :D

Mukta