Saturday, January 27, 2007

Subway Stop

Coming out of my laziness, I took the subway today - despite having to walk a few blocks in the freezing cold. It's easier to come out, hail a cab and be home in 20 minutes. But the subway surely has more experience in store. For instance, today the train just stopped at Fulton Street for a full 10 minutes. No one knew the reason, no one showed any signs of restlessness. Most commuters here, even if getting down a couple of stops later, would open a book or plug in the i-pod and sink in. 10 minutes of a stoppage without any announcement does not make the New Yorker stir. I was sorely missing the presence of a fellow Calcuttan with me. Sounds of 'Ki Dada, train-ta cholbe naki?' were echoing inside my mind - would have surely come out if there were one. Loosely translated it means - well, the essence of comments like this cannot be captured in translations :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah u're right. these slogans are purely bengali, which cannot be translated. well, hope you enjoyed those 10 minutes, huh?????

spilledbytes said...

Yes I did.. enjoyed to the hilt.. :D

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.