Thursday, February 22, 2007

Perceptions Of A Dormant Mind

Perceptions are hard to overcome. Our minds are often tuned to a certain thought or belief which we keep carrying on without realising. Sometimes - due to certain events - we come to know that what we believed had no basis, just that the mind started housing it for some unknown reason. Though we may actually rectify and go ahead with reason and thoughts, sometimes the mind is so programmed to what it had stored that it refuses to budge. I have never been able to understand the thought process behind this whenever it happens to me. And more often than not I lose my way midway - like I am losing it in writing this down.

Let me not get into the philosophy of it all and just give a few examples. One of my friends read my blog and remarked on a line in my profile - "I really like the quote you chose, 'Yesterday, today was tomorrow'. This is really one of the most concise and powerful quotes I have come across." I was indeed a bit flattered by the compliment till he asked me this question - "Whose is it, by the way?" I told him it was mine, I thought of it while in college. He did not believe at first, and kept on insisting that I divulge the name of the real author. When I persisted with my answer and he found honesty in my voice, the admiration in his did not last a moment longer. He said, 'But, somehow, it sounds a bit incomplete,' and went away. Perception - ordinary people cannot write original quotable quotes.

Some years back, a family was visiting us and my mother - in her usual enthusiasm and attention to detail - charted out what to treat them to a week in advance. And in the final, much-modified menu, was something that we all loved - fish chops. There was one more fish item, a curry. When the guests arrived, they refused the fish curry but they had already had the chops. We were told they get nauseatic if they had fish - while mentioning on the same breath that the 'chicken' chops were too good. :)

Let me wind up with something from my stable. When I was very young, there was programme on TV titled 'Hello Zindagi' and Jagjit Singh used to sing the title song for it. Somehow, I did not like the concept of pitting the words Hello and Zindagi against each other. The singer bore the brunt and I did not like any songs that was sung by the legend. This - thankfully - changed when I was in college and I became an avid Jagjit Singh listener.

After this, I normally try to reason out things and not get driven by pre-set notions. But as is the case, mostly our perceptions are formed and stay in the subconscious terrains of our mind.

P.S. - If I were to vote, I'd vote this post as the worst till date, but I am publishing it anyways because I decided not to have a quality check in this blog. If you read my blog, you need to accept my ordinariness and not form any perceptions which are unfounded. :D

5 comments:

amitnme said...

Hi there!
Its not Hello Zindagi.. but
"Hai-Lau-Zindagi"

Lau = Bloody!
:)

Another JS avid fan!!

Anonymous said...

no one is ordinary dear!

Anonymous said...

this post is not worst, its really good dude :D

Anonymous said...

just an update :)

The serial was not hello zindagi but it was "Current Affairs" hosted by Nalini singh
& the song was "Hello Zindagi" not the "Hai Lau Zindagi"

spilledbytes said...

I am now all at sea.. I do not remember what it exactly was. All I remember was him singing - in whatever serial - Hello (can as well be Hai Lau) Zindagi. I am confused now :)